This ancient landmark holds an enviable record for the number of years it has housed civic, religious, and community gatherings. The Second Baptist Church of Foster purchased the site for $15 in 1795. In 1796, the Rhode Island General Assembly voted a lottery for erecting the Elder Hammond Meeting House. Foster Town meetings were first held here beginning in 1801. Church trustees conveyed title to the Town in 1822 on the condition that the Town pay $85 which was half the cost of repairs.
During the early months of 2007, the entire exterior of the building was restored and repainted with grant funding from the Rhode Island Historical Preservation Heritage Commission.
On December 7, 2007 the RI Historical Preservation Heritage Commission (RIHPHC) announced that Foster would be awarded $11,880 for the repair and restoration of the interior of the Town House. The work to the Town House will be done in consultation with the RIHPHC in order to ensure and maintain the historical integrity of this historic building.